Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Metrosexual Men

Women have always been expected to be the height of primped - shaved legs, manicured and painted nails, sparkling white teeth, styled hair, flawless make-up, trendy clothes, alluring fragrance... Do you, men out there, have any idea how long it takes for us, women, to get ready, and how much money it all costs?

Well, my question is -- has the time come for all good men to bump up the aesthetic bar a notch, or two, and become metrosexual? "Oh, but what exactly is metrosexual?" I hear all you 'rugged male types' out there ask.

Basically a metrosexual is an urban male who embodies vanity in a positive way; he keeps up on the latest fashions. He waxes, trims and has manicures. He never has a hair out of place. He goes to the gym everyday and freely spends money on his aesthetics and lifestyle. And perish the thought of shampoo and hair gel, the metrosexual male only uses "products" on his fine locks!

I guess a lot of people will say- - it's just a fad. A catch phrase being exploited by the media. At the end of the last century it was the Nirvana inspired 'grunge' - unkempt, lanky looking hair and rugged unshaven faces. I loved Kurt Cobain's music, but geez, couldn't he just have used a razor and comb?

So is this just a passing thing or is the metrosexual the new man of the millennium? Upon giving the matter a lot of thought-- I have a lot of spare time you know? I'm noting more, and more, men's facial products appearing on my favourite skin care counter. While older males are still content with the cheap buzz and cut, there are more men at my unisex salon having their hair 'styled'. And, I'm seeing men everywhere in immaculate, clean and pressed clothes --smelling of sexy cologne. They're going to the movies to see Julia Roberts -- with her clothes on. And, my goodness, I'm seeing, previously over pumped with testosterone, males actually driving their cars within the speed limit and letting female drivers pass them!

Remember the now deceased danseur Rudolph Nureyev? Metrosexual men out there will know exactly who I'm talking about. I read a biography about him a while back. Countless women fell in love and lust with this man. "He spoilt me for all other men," one lamented. Some people might have accused him of being effeminate. He was, after all, just so totally in touch with his 'feminine side'. Or was he perhaps just ahead of his time--the original metrosexual man?

So, now you know.

But what's this new breed of man like in the sack? That's what women want to know, isn't it? There's got to be more to a metrosexual man than just his appearance. Is he more aware of his woman's needs? Does he mind sleeping on 'the wet spot'? Does he say: "Oh, that's fine, I don’t mind one little bit, we can make love another night if you're feeling tried tonight."? I'm sure he does. Oh, and I bet he never, ever, falls asleep immediately after sex! Our culture is changing and our sexuality is not questioned as closely as it once was. It's ok that he wants be as attractive for you as you are for him. Preening will no longer automatically slap him with 'gay' tag. He likes to look good, and yet he's still not about to let his ego to rule his life. Oh, yes, siree--he's likeable, liberated and loving it! But--wait just a modern minute. Amazing as all this might seem, according to recent surveys, only one in five women actually want a metrosexual man!

Most still want their men to be just as nature intended them to be; sex driven, testosterone pumped animals who can be ready for night on the town in the same time it takes, us, women to decided what we’re going to wear! And you know what? I have to be totally honest here; I'm one of these women. Give me a rugged and rough around the edges man any day--and especially at night!

No comments: